Passiflora - Forum

Alles um und über Passionsblumen
Aktuelle Zeit: Mittwoch 23. Mai 2018, 05:07

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: P.CAERULEA SELF-FERTILE
BeitragVerfasst: Freitag 14. August 2009, 12:13 

Greetings to all from Ukraine! :)

One thing has been bugging me lately, namely: is there a P.caerulea selection (clone / variety) that reliably sets fruit (full of seeds) on SELFING/ with its own pollen? Has anyone seen such?

I have heard of P.caerulea 'Paraguay' which was supposedly self-fertile. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this?

Will be thankful for any information.

Good growing
Igor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Freitag 14. August 2009, 12:29 

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I have never heard of a caerulea selection named paraguay.
From my experiance over the years i don't belive that a caerulea selection exists who is able to pollinate herself.

We know that caerulea sometimes set up fruits but without seeds.

Anyway it wouldnt be a problem to get fruits from caerulea by using another caerulea (not a clone of the first one). clear sky (4n) and constance eliot (albino selection of caerulea) are common combinations.

Hope this helps.

Gerd

BeitragVerfasst: Freitag 14. August 2009, 12:58 

Dear Gerd,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I know that you can get fruits on P.caerulea by cross-pollination with another P.caerulea, but I am wondering if a self-fertile form exists. Apart from that, which of the existing P.caerulea cultivars (2n ONLY) is the most floriferous / early-blooming. I got 2 P.caerulea clones in spring, but up to now one of them gave a couple of flowers only, whereas the other one has not bloomed at all. I don't think it's normal since P.Clear Sky of the same size is blooming very well next to those.

Igor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Freitag 14. August 2009, 20:02 

Hello Igar,

maybe you have to ask the experts from the passiflora mailing list. Many of the experts, breeders and researchers are reading and writing there.

Regarding the bloming, i believe that it willbe impossible to compare the plants this way.
clear sky is a complex 4n crossing of caerulea (not pure caerulea), so in this case Roland Fischer has done a selection by choosing the hardest plant and maybe the one with the best bloming. Maybe the regular caeruleas are grown from seeds, so you will get the complete range of what is possible by crossing two plants.

Btw. are there many Passiflora enthusiasts in Ukraine?, which grades you have there, did you have them in outdoor cultivation?

Gerd

Zuletzt geändert von Gerd am Samstag 15. August 2009, 07:59, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Freitag 14. August 2009, 21:29 

Gerd is right, the international Passiflora mailing list is a good place to get an answer to your questions.

You can find the archive and how to sign in here:
https://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/passiflora-l.html

The list language is english and all the big names of passiflora experts are on it. Perhaps even some people from your country.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Montag 17. August 2009, 10:52 

Gerd hat geschrieben:
Hello Igar,

maybe you have to ask the experts from the passiflora mailing list. Many of the experts, breeders and researchers are reading and writing there.

Regarding the bloming, i believe that it willbe impossible to compare the plants this way.
clear sky is a complex 4n crossing of caerulea (not pure caerulea), so in this case Roland Fischer has done a selection by choosing the hardest plant and maybe the one with the best bloming. Maybe the regular caeruleas are grown from seeds, so you will get the complete range of what is possible by crossing two plants.

Btw. are there many Passiflora enthusiasts in Ukraine?, which grades you have there, did you have them in outdoor cultivation?

Gerd

Dear Gerd,

In the past I was on that mailing list, but unfortunately at that time I didn't find it VERY helpful. That is one of the reasons I am writing here. Now back to P.caeruleas. It is my conviction that it IS possible to compare plants this way. I have been growing P.Clear Sky many years in a row as well as several other forms (unknown) of P.caerulea. The plants were restarted from cutting each autumn, planted out in April and grew outside till frosts. They all grew in the same soil with the same temperature, watering, fertilization and all consistently showed different blooming intensity. Some of P.caerulea strains DID NOT bloom at all within one season's period, while others bloomed more or less well. I have one P.caerulea strain with big sturdy flowers that blooms MOST of ALL, giving tens of flowers a day by the end of the blooming cycle, much better than P.Clear Sky, for instance. Unfortunately, this plant is not self-fertile, it only sets fruit when pollinated with P.Clear Sky. What I am after is a clone of P.caerulea that would be a good bloomer (similar or better than P.Clear Sky), have a big fruit, and ideally be self-fertile.
Do you know a P.caerulea that conforms to some or all of these requirements?

Regarding cultivation of Passiflora in Ukraine, yes, there are a few enthusiasts. Unfortunately, it is not possible to overwinter any Passiflora here besides P.incarnata with thick mulch, so Passiflora is either grown in pots or in the ground during the summer time. That is why it is especially important to find species with quick commencement of blooming and short fruit ripening period. I have managed to breed 2 outstanding P.incarnata hybrids with high quality fruit that ripen within our growing season.

Regards,
Igor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Dienstag 18. August 2009, 19:13 

Hi Igor,

as already said in my opinion it is not possible to compare selections bcause they have been selected for special attributes.

Big Flowers and fruits you will get with 4n grades, think you know this for yourself.

Have you ever tried to get caeruleaseeds from different sources, seed them and select them by yourself? I think this will be the only way to get the selection you are searching for.

Maybe give it a try and seed them outdoor maybe you will get a frostresistent (also for your region) selection.

I do not know a selection of a pure caerulea whio is able to selfpollinate.
Maybe its possible by crossing caerulea with a selfpollinating passiflora and one of the F1 or the next generation (Backcrossing?) will be looking like caerulea and is able to selfpollinate.

Gerd

BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 19. August 2009, 09:31 

OK, thanks for your input.

Igor

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: P.CAERULEA SELF-FERTILE
BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 19. August 2009, 11:21 

IgorLyannoy hat geschrieben:

One thing has been bugging me lately, namely: is there a P.caerulea selection (clone / variety) that reliably sets fruit (full of seeds) on SELFING/ with its own pollen? Has anyone seen such?

I have heard of P.caerulea 'Paraguay' which was supposedly self-fertile. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this?

Good growing
Igor

Hello,

I don't know about a Passiflora caerulea that is self-fertile....
Yes, I think Gerd is right, you must try it and seed one half of them outdoor and the others in a normal overwintering temperature!

BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 19. August 2009, 14:37 

Passi hat geschrieben:
IgorLyannoy hat geschrieben:

Good growing
Igor

Hello,

I don't know about a Passiflora caerulea that is self-fertile....
Yes, I think Gerd is right, you must try it and seed one half of them outdoor and the others in a normal overwintering temperature!

Hallo,

Maybe, you are right. I was just hoping to find a plant with required characteristics among the existing cultivars. :)

Anyone can help out with a few seeds of P.caerulea X P.caerulea?

Passiflora Enthusiast
Igor Lyannoi

BeitragVerfasst: Donnerstag 18. Mai 2017, 07:20 

wow thanks for your input ;)

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]